According to a study performed in December of 2011 by the Greenbook Research Industry Trends Report, the way we perform research is encountering a wave of change. This report compiles the results of 818 completed questionnaires, 50% of which come from service providers, 18% from consultants and 15% from business owners.
- 34% of respondents use virtual communities as their preferred research method.
- 28% of research directors analyze social media.
- 6% of businesses use the gamification method.
- 6% of participants make use of neuromarketing techniques to understand consumer behavior.
- 6% of interviewees use facial expression analysis techniques.
In addition, according to the study, influencers spoke about these techniques in social media more than they really used them.
Interestingly, surveys conducted on cell phones are more and more common. In fact, 23% of companies participating in the study claim to use them for data collection.
Moreover, 20% of participants maintain analyzing texts, 18% of company directors claim using interviews conducted through webcams and 17% use a technique called eyetracking.
Market research, open externalisation and analysis of the virtual environment are other techniques that will be used in 2012.
And you? What research methods will you use in 2012?